What is postural neck pain?
Postural neck pain can be caused by lifestyle factors or health conditions which can lead to damage or tension in the neck and shoulders. Some symptoms of postural neck pain can even lead to muscle spasms, pins and needles, and other neck and spine conditions if left untreated.
- Poor posture when sitting or standing
- Prolonged periods of sitting or standing
- Lack of support when using devices/ reading
- Poor positioning and alignment (sleeping posture)
- Neck pain, tension
- Stiffness in joints around neck
- Soreness/ altered sensations in the neck
- Pins and needles in the arms or shoulders
- Muscle spasms
- Pain when staying still but reduced pain with movement
- Limited range of motion
Postural neck pain should be assessed by the physiotherapist to determine the severity and prevent chronic neck pain.
Some treatment to manage postural neck pain are:
- Soft tissue massage
- Strengthening weak muscles
- Stretching tight muscles
- Dry needling
- Shockwave for more chronic conditions
- Home exercises for self-management
- Assessments of ergonomic workspaces and applying better supports
- Recommendations for neck and lumbar braces and pillows
My Physio My Health
Trust our team of physiotherapists to help you recover faster and improve your quality of life.